Civic League of North Portal Estates Officers and Chairs, 2019-2021
President: Michael L. Benjamin Open Letter
Vice President: Dana Ash-McGinty
Secretary: Janice Temple Robinson
Financial Secretary: Omari Head
Treasurer: Diane E. Baxter
Sergent-at-Arms: Dr. Betty Catoe Strudwick
Archivist: Dr. Phylicia Fauntleroy Bowman
Standing Committee Chairs
Infrastructure/ Environment/Land Development: Jim Edmonds
Special Projects: Judi Ponds
Representative DC Federation of Civic Associations: Nathaniel Sims
Civic League of North Portal Estates (CLNPE) 2019-2020 Program Survey
As the CLNPE begins planning for its 2019-20 program year, the Civic League’s Executive Committee needs your help in identifying and prioritizing issues in our neighborhood that need to be addressed. Please take a few minutes to fill out this survey. Plans for our program year will be based in part on the survey results and will be shared with our neighbors at our first membership meeting, 7pm, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, Lowell School, Parkside Building, 7775 17TH STREET, NW – ROOM 207 and through our website.CLNPE Survey
Tentative Membership Meeting Dates 2019-20Lowell School, Parkside Building
7775 17TH STREET, NW – ROOM 207, Washington, DC 20012
Meet n Greet – 6:30pm; Meeting – 7-8:30pm
Sep 25, 2019
Nov 18, 2019 instead of November 25th (day before Thanksgiving)
Jan 22, 2020
Mar 25, 2020
May 27, 2020
*Enter from 17th Street, first building on the right, park on the driveway.
Open Letter from the CLNPE PresidentAugust 25, 2019
Dear North Portal Estates Neighbor,
The Civic League of North Portal Estates (CLNPE) exists to make our community one of the most desirable places to live in Washington, DC! It represents approximately 220 families in our neighborhood. The Civic League holds five public meetings annually and two social events annually. Our Civic League Board of Directors also has several Committees that work to continually improve our neighborhood.
Your Civic League dues support the betterment of the neighborhood — our lifestyle, our image, and our property values — and is beneficial to you as the homeowner. At only $30/year, you can’t beat it! Thanks to your dues and many volunteers, here’s what we accomplished during 2018-19 program year ending this June:
- Annual picnic hosted by Pamela Lowe and Jerry Hunter
- The “Spring Clean” project provided for household goods picked up by Wider Circle; DC Department of Public Works for bulk pick-ups; and a shredder truck for deposable papers. Leadership provided by Special Projects Chair Judi Ponds
- Sponsored a forum for the community to meet and hear the four candidates vying for the Ward 4 State Board of Education seat to fill the vacancy of the remainder of the 2017-2020 term.
- Holiday party hosted By Emma King with leadership from Aleen Sutton, Chair, Hospitality Committee.
- Facilitated the completion of the asphalt sidewalks on the creek side of North Portal Drive as well as installation of curb cuts at the intersections of North Portal Drive, East Beach and Kalmia Rd. making the cuts ADA compliant. Effort led by Jim Edmonds, Chair, Infrastructure Committee.
- Continued work on the North Portal History Project under the leadership of Dr. Phylicia Fauntleroy Bowman, Archivist
- Maintained ongoing liaison with the Mayor Muriel Bowser’s Office and Councilmember Brandon Todd’s Office as well as District agency offices.
- Sponsored numerous speakers at our regular membership meetings including Peter Newsham-Chief of Metropolitan Police Department (MPD); Kevin Donahue-Deputy Mayor, Public Safety & Justice; Gregory Dean-Fire and EMS Department Chief; Randy Griffin-4th District Police Commander; Garrett King, DC Office on Aging; and Christopher Dyer, Private Security Camera Incentive Program.
In addition, North Portal Estates community has many social activities that offer something for everyone! We always welcome your input.
Yours in service,
Michael L. Benjamin, President
Civic League of North Portal Estates
VISIT US ONLINE: CLNPE.ORG; CALL: 240-630-2054
01/2019 Open Letter
03/2019 Open Letter